The Best Traveling Sandals to See the World In
Last updated:October 12, 2021
Megnya Walking Sandals
- Hand-woven durable nylon cord
- Comfortable EVA cushioned midsole
- Quality rubber soles
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Chaco Z/2 Classic
- Adjustable and durable webbing
- Odor controlled application
- Rubber outsole with 3.5mm deep lug
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Docker’s Fisherman Sandal
- Memory Foam insole for instant comfort
- Flexible with durable rubber outsole
- Extra layer Fusion Footbed cushioning
CHECK LATEST PRICE
When you dream about traveling to the other side of the globe and experiencing a brand new country for the first time, you want to make sure you’re doing it comfortably.
While most would assume a pair of sneakers is the best attire, nothing beats the casualness and comfort of a pair of sandals.
What are the best sandals to pack for traveling?
A good traveling sandal should match the destination, so think about the features you need, like whether a lot of walking is required or if you’ll be in the water.
Choose a well-made sandal with sole support, durable materials, and a comfortable fit.
With the best sandals for traveling Europe or Asia on your feet, you’ll have a more relaxed time, while still keeping things stylish.
If you’ve always dreamed about taking this casual approach to your world-wandering attired, this buying guide to the best walking traveling sandals can help you out.
Our Picks for the Best Traveling Sandals
If you want the best sandals for traveling but haven’t the faintest idea where to start, we’ve done the hard work for you.
We’ve selected fashionable yet comfortable sandals for traveling in both men’s and women’s styles, so see what the best of the best looks like for your feet.
Best Traveling Sandals for Women: Megnya Walking Sandals
The shoes range in sizes from a five to an 11 to suit girls, teenagers, and women, and all of them come with a one-inch heel, with a huge selection of 20 colors and designs to choose from.
If you want multifunctional and comfortable sandals for traveling, backpacking, and seeing the world, Megnya has made our favorite of all.
These affordable shoes are made of synesthetic materials like nylon, rubber, and vinyl, which means you can even get them wet without fear of damaging them.
Due to this synthetic construction, they’re incredibly affordable and a smart investment to make just before a trip.
The Megnya Walking Sandals are comfortable as well, thanks to the EVA cushioned midsole, so you can do lots of walking in them without getting any discomfort.
According to customers, they’re true to size, but it’s best to check out their measurement guide to be sure that you’re choosing the right fit.
The style of the shoe makes them more breathable than sneakers as well, so they’re the best sandals for traveling Asia and any other warmer climates.
The style of these shoes has a braided rope on the upper with a slight heel, and the color of the braid can be changed, with the sole always remaining black.
Megnya has made it possible to slightly adjust the strap on top as well, so you can guarantee a snug fit and a more comfortable sight-seeing experience with their sandals.
- The cushioning on the midsole makes these incredibly comfortable and allows you to walk for hours without a hassle, with many reviewers claiming it felt like walking on air.
- There are lots of colors and styles to choose from and something to suit every taste and outfit you own.
- People found the fit true to size so there was little guesswork about what would be right for your foot.
- As a lightweight sandal, you can easily fit a few pairs of these in your suitcase or handbag and get plenty of use out of them.
- Due to the synthetic nature of the materials used to make these sandals, you can get them wet without doing any damage.
- The long term quality of these sandals is yet to be tested by reviewers, and because of the cheaper synthetic materials, it’s not likely they’ll last as long as a sandal made of leather.
- Megnya insisted on using a small one-inch heel on these sandals which might turn some women off from them.
Runner Up: Chaco Z/2 Classic
In men’s and women’s sizes ranging from 7 to 15, they also offer wide options, and they’re all made with vegan friendly materials and customized loops and straps to fit your foot exactly.
There’s no need to go cheap just because you’re buying synthetic, and that’s what the Chaco Z/2 Classic has proven.
These are some of the most durable traveling sandals on the market, and feature elements like non-marking ChacoGrip rubber compound on the sole and jacquard webbing polyester upper wraps up top, with four different colors and styles to wear them in.
The Chaco Z/2 Classic fits both men and women, but they’re one of our top picks for ladies because of how comfortably they fit.
The shoes come with a high tensile lock buckle to keep them in place, and even if you wade through water with them on, they’ll emerge just as comfortable and in the same condition as when you entered.
If you plan on doing lots of walking in your sandals, you’ll want the comfort that these offer, and because they’re made with PU vegan leather you can feel good about your choices.
Although they cost a little more than the competition, they’ll last for years to come, and ensure you feel supported through whatever adventures you take on your travels.
- The quality of these sandals is second to none and if you’re thinking of going synthetic but want to make sure they’re well-made, Chaco is the brand to choose.
- You can choose between a standard foot width and a wider shoe, so all shapes and sizes are catered to, as well as men’s and women’s.
- Made of 100% polyester, you can wear these in all kinds of weather conditions and they’ll still be standing by your side.
- The grip of the sole is ideal for walking up slopes and your foot will stay put without sliding around, provided you have the right size.
- Vegan friendly PU leather means you’re doing your part for the planet and choosing something that’s been ethically made.
- They’re not the most visually appealing shoes, even if they are comfortable, so you might want something more stylish.
- Chaco has developed a heavy sandal here so if you’re short on luggage weight you may prefer a more lightweight and less durable option. One pair weighs 1lb7oz which can feel pretty hefty when you pick them up.
- You only have four color options to choose from including black, navy, and gold, which can look a little boring.
Alternative: Skechers On the Go 600 Brilliancy Sandals
The sandals come in women’s sizes five through 12, have a wide option available in each size, and feature a 0.75-inch platform sole to give you some height.
With synthetic materials in their construction, they’re ideal for traveling in all kinds of conditions.
Skechers is a brand synonymous with funky style and quality, and if you want your sandals to look youthful and fashionable, you’ll want to check out the On the Go 600 Brilliancy range.
These women’s sandals come in both wide and standard width and sizes range from five to 12, with customers stating that they’re pretty true to size.
What sets these apart is the rubber rebound in sole, or Goga Max as Skechers calls them, that makes it soft and cushioned for your feet all day.
There are seven different looks available, including plain black and light mauve with a white sole, giving every woman a fashion statement that they can take traveling with them.
The Skechers On the Go 600 Brilliancy feature a heather fabric strap that can be adjusted to suit your foot, and they also feature a small platform on them, which didn’t appeal to everyone.
If you want brand name recognition and put your trust in Skechers to deliver, you’ll love everything about these rubber sandals on your next vacation.
- Skechers uses their Goga Max high rebound synthetic insole which adds to the comfort of the shoe and helps you keep some pep in your step after a long day of sightseeing.
- The shoes are lightweight without feeling flimsy, so you can carry them easily and wear them all day and not feel dragged down.
- These are some of the more stylish traveling sandals we’ve reviewed and with seven different colors to choose from with the straps and sole.
- The fabric upper is incredibly soft and causes minimal abrasion on your feet. There’s no need to wear these in for very long because they’re already quite soft.
- You can adjust the straps on the uppers to fit your foot however you like which gives you a little more freedom than the other sandals we’ve reviewed.
- Having a platform on the shoe might lose this sandal some of its appeal, especially if you plan on wearing it all day and are looking for comfort first and foremost.
- They’re a more expensive shoe than others with a lot of that cost being due to the brand recognition of Skechers, without necessarily offering much more in durability.
Best Traveling Sandals for Men: Docker’s Fisherman Sandal
The Fisherman features a rubber sole, 100% synthetic materials, and memory foam insoles, so they’re comfortable and practical for all kinds of travel adventures, and with the breathability of sandal but the support of a sneaker.
A men’s traveling sandal should be just as adventurous and rugged as the man wearing them, and Docker’s has created that with their Fisherman range.
This sandal looks many, with a distressed man-made upper and color choices including rust, dark tan, and brown, dark, even if some of them do look the same.
The Docker’s Fisherman is one of the most comfortable sandals around, thanks to the memory foam insole.
They’ve also incorporated a Fusion Footbed that adds to the luxury and it means even if you’re walking all day long with these sandals on, you’ll never want to take them off.
Everything about these sandals screams durability and even though they’re synthetic, that doesn’t mean they won’t last.
The Velcro closures could be a little better quality, but they do make it possible to get a tighter fit that’s suited to you specifically.
Besides this, you’ll still get a supportive and stable footwear option to take you traveling through Europe, Asia, and anywhere else you plan to go, without feeling too formal or restricted.
- Although they’re made with synthetic materials, these shoes look just like genuine leather and make them appear more expensive than they are at first glance.
- Having Velcro straps means adjusting the shoe to match your foot is easier and can be done on the go, which is a huge bonus for traveling and sight seeing.
- The use of memory foam on the insole means the shoe shapes exactly to your foot and makes for a more comfortable wearing experience.
- The design of these shoes is rugged but still modern, and they’re neutral enough to be worn with just about anything.
- Docker’s has designed these to be durable enough for all conditions so you can wear them in the water for hours without doing them any harm.
- Some reviewers worried about the quality of the Velcro closure and how they might hold up after lots of exposure to water over a few months of use.
- There are no options for a half size with these which some men were disappointed to find, as it seemed the full sizes weren’t as accommodating to everyone. You can use the Velcro strap to make adjustments but it still might not be right.
- Although there are seven different colors, most of them look the same, and there isn’t much differentiation between the many brown sandals they have.
Runner Up: Jousen Sports Sandals
These sandals range from a size seven to a size 13, but only a standard fit is available.
The Jousen Sports Sandal comes in eight color combinations and the choice of either an open or closed toe, and every pair has Velcro closures, a soft lining, and non-slip stitched sole.
Jousen has developed a Sports Sandal range that is perfect for traveling with and they’re crafted with 100% leather uppers and a durable rubber sole.
These shoes are simple and practical, but incredibly stylish, and come in eight different colors and styles, like dark brown, black, and yellow-brown, as well as two options for the actual design of the shoe and toe components.
If you want to do a lot of walking on your travels, the Jousen Sports Sandals are made for these settings.
There’s a non-slip stitched sole that helps with traction and shock absorption, and although they are marketed as being water resistant, it’s best to keep them away otherwise the leather uppers could see some damage.
The Jousen Sports Sandals are comfortable thanks to the soft lining and arch support, as well as the chance to adjust them as needed with Velcro straps, and fully customize the sandal to your foot.
If you prefer the quality and look of leather and want to steer clear of synthetic alternatives, the Jousen Sports Sandals are worth the extra cost.
- These sports sandals come in both an open and closed toe option so you can choose the perfect style to suit your needs.
- As a 100% premium leather shoe, the Jousen Sandals will stand the test of time and last you through all of your travel adventures for years to come.
- The comfort factor of these shoes is exceptional and it’s just as soft and supportive as wearing a good pair of sneakers when you put them on.
- Jousen has used high strength Velcro on these sandals and there’s no risk of them wearing out after just a few uses, which has been a common letdown on other sandals we’ve seen.
- There are three areas for adjustment on these sandals which means every part of your foot will be secured and snug.
- In the sizing of these shoes, Jousen hasn’t included any wider fits which is a common theme for sandals these days. Men with a wider foot will have to miss out on these entirely which is disappointing.
- Although the leather itself is of good quality, you won’t be able to wear these shoes in the water otherwise they’ll be damaged instantly, even if they claim to be water resistant. For a more versatile sandal, opt for something made of 100% synthetic materials.
- This is another men’s sandal that doesn’t differ much when it comes to color choices and everything is neutral or plain, so if you prefer flamboyancy or more colors, you’ll need to shop around.
Traveling Sandals FAQs
A quality pair of traveling sandals can change the way you see the world, but they need to be just right to ensure comfort and stability for your feet.
If you’ve always wondered what difference traveling sandals can make, read on for some FAQs and our expert answers to help you out.
What Should You Not Wear In Sandals?
Sandals are a casual style of footwear and should be worn with other casual garments.
If purchasing traveling sandals, a pair of rolled-up jeans, shorts, or flowy dress will be a good accompaniment for a pair of sandals to maintain a laid back look.
Should Sandals Be Tight Or Loose?
A sandal should be fitted comfortably to the foot so that it’s not too tight but also not so loose that your foot can slip out of them as you walk.
While wearing a sandal, you should be able to slightly flex your foot without too much give, indicating that it’s the perfect fit for the width and length of your feet.
Is Shoe Size Same As Sandal Size?
Shoe manufacturers vary in size from brand to brand, and this includes their sandal range.
The best way to find the perfect fit is to follow the sizing guide offered by the shoe manufacturer and do the required measurements to make sure it’s a good fit for the width and length.
How Long Does It Take To Break In Sandals?
A good pair of sandals will take between two to three weeks to break in, but some other factors might impact this time.
The material and quality of the sandals, how often you wear them, and whether you’re wearing a sock underneath to assist with the breaking-in period.
Stylish and Steady Sandals for Any Journey
There’s something romantic about the thought of wearing a pair of relaxed and comfortable sandals on your feet as you travel the world and see the sights.
If you’ve always wanted some traveling sandals for yourself but didn’t know where to start, our top picks will give you everything you need for style and comfort, all in a laid-back package.