The Best Lightweight Luggage For Your Travels
Last updated:October 14, 2021
Coolife 3 Piece Luggage Set
- Extremely durable and lightweight ABS
- TSA-Accepted Lock for extra security
- Luggage set can be stored one into another
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Travelpro Maxlite 5
- Limited lifetime guarantee
- Easy to carry with you on board
- Loads of compartments and sections
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Amazon Basics 26 Inch Luggage
- Expansion feature to carry more
- Telescoping handle and short handle
- Affordable and practical
CHECK LATEST PRICE
The key to an effortless trip is effortless luggage, and choosing something lightweight to take your belongings in is how you get it.
With super lightweight luggage, you reduce the strain on your back and make it easier to move, plus give yourself more room to take the belongings you need with you.
What is the best lightweight luggage?
The key to finding good lightweight luggage is to look for something that combines quality materials and construction but with a lighter feel, so you’re getting the best of both worlds.
A piece of baggage should be capable of holding whatever it is you need to take on a trip, whether it’s checked or carry on, so size is important.
If you’re in the market for the best lightweight checked luggage or carry on bags, this buying guide can help you out.
We’ve reviewed some of the top rated luggage pieces that fall into the lightweight category so you can see how easy and breezy your next trip will be.
Our Picks for the Best Lightweight Luggage
There are lots of benefits to using lightweight luggage, including being able to fit more contents inside and using less effort to travel with them.
If you want to experience the advantages of this luggage for yourself, check out our top picks for the best lightweight bags on the market.
Best Overall: Coolife 3 Piece Luggage Set
The suitcases are constructed with ABS, they weigh 26lbs in total, and come in 17 different color combinations, all containing the three pieces of zippered luggage.
The Coolife 3 Piece Luggage Set gives you everything you need to travel the world, and it’s our favorite find.
With 17 stunning colors to choose from, a high gloss finish, TSA-approved security lock, ergonomic telescoping handle, and interior mesh and elasticated pockets, you’ll get all of the usual extras for a fraction of the price and weight.
The entire three piece set weighs just 26lbs so it’s truly lightweight, and this is thanks to the use of ABS materials to construct it.
Another benefit of ABS is that it’s also durable, so if you’re after something lightweight but sturdy, it’s one of the best on the market.
Coolife has fitted each of the bags with spinner wheels that turn 360 degrees and give them easy portability, even when you’re in a hurry and running through the airport.
The first is a carry on bag measuring 22.5 x 15.5 x 9.25 inches, the second is the 26.5 x 18.25 x 10.25 inch bag, and the largest is the 30.25 x 20.75 x 11.75 inch model.
This gives you access to the best lightweight carry-on luggage and something larger to check in, so all of your traveling plans can be met.
Coolife protects this set with a two year warranty and it’s exceptional value for a family looking to upgrade to lightweight luggage.
- There’s lots of room inside of this luggage set while it manages to weigh less than most bags, so you can fit more of your belongings.
- You can easily organize the contents of your luggage thanks to the compartments and sleeves that Coolife has included.
- This is one of the cheapest options for a three-piece luggage set and made with good enough quality to last for years.
- The overall weight of this luggage set makes it one of the lightest we’ve found but without being flimsy.
- Having a TSA-approved lock on the side of your suitcase gives you peace of mind that you’re protected, and it’s a great feature at this price.
- As an ABS suitcase, it’s prone to scratching, and because it has a glossy finish it shows up more easily on the lighter colors.
- You’ll need to be careful when using the zipper as some customers have found it gets stuck, and when jammed, there’s no other way to open it.
Runner Up: Travelpro Maxlite 5
For the absolute in quality with a lightweight feel, the Travelpro Maxlite 5 is one of our top picks.
This 21-inch spinner luggage is ultra-lightweight and weighs just 5.3lbs and has interior dimensions of 21 x 14 x 9 inches for all of your carry on needs.
Travelpro Maxlite 5 is the latest in the range from the luggage masters, and weighs half a pound less than the last model.
This bag features a fabric outer with a low profile top, two exterior compartments, an interior lid pocket, side pocket, and interior straps in the main compartment, giving you ample opportunities to pack everything you need.
The Travelpro Maxlite 5 comes in nine different colors, including Azure Blue and Burgundy with a checkered interior lining that matches the outside.
There are also loads of features that make it ergonomically sound and easy to use, including 360-degree spinner wheels, adjustable telescopic handle, and high tensile strength zippers so you don’t have to work hard just to get your luggage closed.
This is the best lightweight luggage for Europe, Asia, and anywhere else in the world because it’s truly light and weighs around 5lbs in total.
You don’t have to give a second thought to its quality thanks to a Limited Lifetime Coverage, and it features a stain and water resistant DuraGuard coating so even during long journeys it’ll be protected.
If you’re after the lightest luggage and prefer the fabric style, the Travelpro Maxlite 5 is one of the best.
- The quality of this suitcase is second to none and it’s covered by a limited lifetime guarantee that vouches for its greatness.
- Weighing around 5lbs makes this super lightweight luggage and means it’s easy to carry with you on board.
- The ergonomically designed zippers are a nice touch that allows you to zip it open and closed with gusto, unlike other suitcases.
- Travelpro has included loads of compartments and sections for easy organization and so nothing gets lost.
- After years of use, customers vouch that this luggage looks brand new still, and will keep its good condition for many more years.
- This is one of the most expensive lightweight luggage options on the market and although it’s made with quality and care, it might not be in everyone’s price range.
- A softer luggage type like this won’t have the durability of a hard shell piece so it’s not ideal for taking sensitive contents inside.
- There are only nine colors choices and they may look a little dated when compared to the glossy hard luggage that’s popular today.
Alternative: Amazon Basics 26 Inch Luggage
For those who want simplicity and a lightweight feel, the Amazon Basics 26 inch luggage is the way to go.
The 26 inch luggage is ideal for checking in and can expand a further 15% once packed, giving you more room than you need.
Amazon Basics is known for creating simple and affordable alternatives to popular products, and that’s what their 26 inch luggage piece is all about.
This is a lightweight hardside luggage option that weighs 9.6lbs in total and has more than enough room to pack for a week away, even if it is a little basic.
There are lots of extras included in this simple luggage option, including expanding size to allow for more 15% more stuff, four double spinner wheels that glide easily and in 360 degrees, and two handles including a telescoping and short mounted one.
Constructed from ABS, it’s able to be both durable and lightweight, so it won’t hold you back.
The Amazon Basics 26 Inch Luggage measures 11.4 x 18.3 x 26.7 inches which include its spinner wheels, and it has a thick outer shell with polyester lining inside to protect your belongings.
There are three separate pockets inside for organization, and it comes in just four different colors, so you don’t get a lot of say over how it looks.
As a piece of lightweight luggage though, it’s affordable and practical, which is everything you need.
- This is a no-frills suitcase without any fancy bells or whistles which suit people who don’t travel often.
- You can fit a whole lot in here thanks to the expansion feature and it can carry more than other lightweight suitcases of the same size.
- At less than 10lbs, it’s easy to carry for 26 inch hardside luggage, and easy to pull around the airport.
- You get two options for carrying, with the telescoping handle and short handle, to suit any situation.
- The cost of this is well below other hardside suitcases and it’s still quality made for how cheap it is.
- There’s only a one year warranty on this suitcase so it may not be the best long term investment, and would instead suit a more infrequent traveler.
- You won’t be able to lock the zipper with a padlock because it’s missing the standard hole and there’s no additional lock in place, so it’s not the most secure option.
- A lack of color and design options could turn some people off from choosing this luggage from Amazon Basics.
Alternative: Coolife 4 Piece Luggage Set
To kit your whole family out with lightweight luggage, the four piece set from Coolife is a great option.
Each of them comes with multidirectional spinner wheels, TSA accepted lock on the side, and two years warranty, which makes them exceptional value for money.
To equip your entire family with lightweight luggage, invest in the Coolife 4 Piece Set and benefit from its durability as well.
These pieces are made with 100% ABS which makes them strong and resistant to pressure, and inside of them, you’ll find a fully lined interior with mesh pockets that help you stay organized.
Coolife offers a two year warranty on this luggage set which is impressive for the price point, but you will need to be careful not to scratch the high gloss surface of the bags.
Other noteworthy features include the ergonomic aluminum telescopic handle and the side handle, giving you two ways to carry your bag.
The Coolife 4 Piece Luggage Set weighs less than 26lbs in total for the entire package, and each piece of luggage has a square design to allow for optimal space.
The spinner wheels rotate 360 degrees and move silently and smoothly, and you’ll also find a TSA accepted lock on the side that only you and an approved agent can access.
For lots of features at a low price, the Coolife 4 Piece Set is one of our favorites.
- This complete luggage set is enough for a whole family to use so you’ll never need anything else.
- It’s one of the cheapest ABS suitcase kits on the market with four bags for the price of one.
- All of the bags have 360-degree spinner wheels so you can easily glide them around for efficient portability.
- You’ll feel peace of mind knowing your baggage and its contents are safe thanks to the secure lock on each of them.
- They all fit inside of each other when empty so you can easily store them away at home when you’re not traveling.
- The zippers on these suitcases are touchy and need to be handled with care, otherwise, you can damage them permanently.
- ABS suitcases like this are prone to scratching and fading, and some customers report issues with the look of theirs after a few months of regular use.
- There are only four colors to choose from in the family set so your options are limited compared to the other Coolife luggage combinations.
Alternative: ShowKoo 3 Piece Softside Luggage Set
For a softer approach to lightweight luggage, the three piece set from ShowKoo might be more up your alley.
The ShowKoo luggage is made with a soft Oxford material that’s durable and light, and it has four t360 degree spinner wheels for portability.
ShowKoo has crafted an affordable three-piece softside luggage set giving you everything you need for a short or extended stay.
This set includes 28 inch, 24 inch, and 20 inch standard sized luggage, all made with a soft but sturdy Oxford material.
You’ll get padded handles on the top and sides of the baggage so even when it’s packed to the fullest, it’s still a breeze to carry.
Overall, the weight of all three pieces of luggage is around 26lbs which is incredibly light, and if you’re taking just one it’s even better.
The bags are capable of expanding up to 20% to fit more in, and inside there are lots of compartments, straps, and dividers to organize your most important belongings.
Unfortunately though, black is the only color that this style comes in, so you’ll want to make your bag identifiable with a tag so it doesn’t’ get lost.
As far as safety is concerned, the ShowKoo Luggage Set features a TSA-approved side lock and durable zipper.
The three step iron handle can be adjusted to suit your height, and it glides easily around with four multidirectional spinner wheels.
Although affordable, ShowKoo has managed to include all of the bells and whistles while staying in the lightweight category.
- With three sizes of luggage, you can use one or take them all, and it ensures everything is matching.
- There’s a lot more room than you realize with these bags and you can easily take whatever you need on your next vacation.
- Security is at a maximum with this luggage set thanks to the TSA-approved combination lock.
- You get plenty of additional compartments and pockets which makes organization a breeze during packing.
- The price for three bags is low and this would be a good option for someone shopping on a budget.
- There’s only one color option of black so this isn’t the best choice of luggage for those wanting something unique.
- Softside luggage like this might not be as protective for the contents so it’s not recommended if you have fragile items in your bag.
- No warranty coverage on these bags means you’re taking more of a risk when you choose them.
Lightweight Luggage FAQs
The most important part of any trip is your luggage, so you want to make sure you’ve got the right choice to keep all of your belongings safe and sound.
After reading our best lightweight luggage for international travel reviews, you might still have questions, so we’ve answered some FAQs that can help you out.
What Size Suitcase Is Best For International Travel?
The best suitcase for international travel is one that meets the size and weight requirements of the airline you’re traveling with.
A standard size piece of luggage that can be checked in will usually measure around 27 x 21 x 14 inches, so something around this size is ideal.
What Is Considered A Lightweight Suitcase?
A lightweight carry on bag might weigh around six to eight pounds, with larger suitcases weighing between eight and 13 pounds.
There’s no true definition of lightweight luggage that has to be followed, provided the bag weighs less than a standard one and the user finds it easier to carry.
How Do I Choose A Luggage Bag?
To find the right luggage bag, you should first consider the size you’ll need to fit all of the belongings for your trip and whether you want to carry it on the plane or have it as checked baggage.
Secondly, look at features like handles, materials, and security to find one that meets your requirements.
Are 29 Inch Suitcases Allowed On Planes?
Many airlines won’t allow a 29 inch suitcase to be checked into a domestic or international flight as it exceeds the usual allowance for luggage.
The average luggage size that can be checked in varies between 21 and 28 inches so it’s best to choose one that falls within this range.
Easy, Breezy Travel
If you want to remove some of the stress of your upcoming travel plans, having a reliable set of lightweight luggage is the way to do it.
Our finds combine the effortlessness of light baggage with the quality and reliability you want when you’re traveling, so consider one of our favorite picks to ensure every future trip is a success.