Samsonite 24” Spinner Luggage
- Extremely scratch-resistant
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Side mounted TSA locks
CHECK LATEST PRICE
American Tourister Moonlight Luggage
- 1.5" packing capacity expansion
- 10 Year limited warranty
- Spinner wheels for effortless mobility
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Rockland Melbourne Luggage
- Extremely lightweight durable ABS
- Expands an extra 2 inches in depth
- Double spinner wheels
CHECK LATEST PRICE
The last thing anyone wants to happen when they’re embarking on a vacation is to find that their belongings have been damaged or stolen from their luggage.
With hardside luggage, the chance of this is reduced, and it has lots of benefits for the savvy traveler to enjoy beyond added security.
What are the best hardside luggage options?
The most important choice is whether you need carry on or checked luggage, as this should lead you towards the right size.
From there, choose luggage that’s made with quality materials, solid construction, and has extra features for portability, accessibility, and security.
To equip yourself with a durable and reliable piece of luggage for your journey, you’ll want something hardside, and we are here to help.
With our recommendations for the best hardside carry-on luggage and checked bags, you’ll guarantee the safety and security of your most prized possessions.
Our Expert Picks for the Best Hardside Luggage
To equip your trip with the best rated hardside luggage, check out our selections of some of the top sellers on the market today and what it is that sets them apart.
These options cover all shapes and sizes, with extra features that speak to all kinds of travelers, and a guaranteed way to protect your belongings.
Best Overall: Samsonite 24” Spinner Luggage
Samsonite’s 24” Spinner Luggage is our favorite hardside luggage and it has overall dimensions of 26.5 x 17.5 x 11.75 inches with a total weight of 8.34lbs.
Designed with micro-diamond polycarbonate it’s tough and resistant to scratches no matter how much you put it through.
Our pick is the best Samsonite hardside luggage with their Spinner 24” model, and a whopping 12 beautiful and vibrant colors to choose from.
This is one of the toughest pieces of baggage you could ever own, crafted from micro-diamond polycarbonate so the outside is smooth but it’s scratch resistant and can withstand loads of pressure without cracking.
Although there’s only a zipper option to open this, there’s little chance it’ll fail, and you’ll also benefit from having the side mounted TSA locks to keep everything secure.
Overall, the bag weighs a hefty 8.34lbs but when you open it up you’ll see that there’s plenty of room to fit all of your belongings for a lengthy vacation.
Inside, there’s a mesh divider and cross straps for organization, so it’s easy to see where everything is.
The Samsonite Spinner Luggage gets its name from its spinner wheels, with four multidirectional ones allowing it easy movability.
The bag is fitted with a retractable handle so it can be wheeled around, and everything moves smoothly.
As a 24-inch bag, the Samsonite Spinner is the perfect size for checked baggage and our favorite in the hardside category.
- The quality of anything that Samsonite creates is second to none and that’s exactly what you’ll get when you choose this luggage.
- Samsonite covers their goods with a 10 year warranty and when you consider the price, it’s a savvy investment that’ll pay for itself in no time at all.
- This suitcase is made with micro-diamond polycarbonate which is even stronger and more resistant to pressure than others on the market.
- The four oversized spinner wheels make it easy to move around and control with just one hand, freeing you up for other things.
- You’ll get an extra layer of protection with the locks on the side of this suitcase so there’s no concern if you’re taking valuable goods.
- As it closes with a zipper only, some customers have warned about potential issues with the zipper breaking and the bag becoming locked completely.
- Samsonite doesn’t offer any spare parts for sale so if you’re hoping to replace a wheel or handle, it’s a lot harder than it should be.
Runner Up: American Tourister Moonlight Luggage
The Moonlight spinner luggage is a 21 inch suitcase designed to be carried on, and it features two large compartments, four multidirectional spinner wheels, a retractable handle, and expansion capabilities to fit more of your belongings in.
For the best hardside carry on luggage, look no further than the American Tourist Moonlight range.
This 21 inch suitcase is the perfect size to take on the plane, with overall measurements of 22 x 15 x 9.5lbs.
The Moonlight has an 8.2lbs total weight, however, it does feel a little heavy when compared to others in the carry on luggage category, but this is due to its durability.
The coolest thing about this luggage is the sheer range of colors and designs to choose from, starting with basic single colors like anthracite and navy, and delving into beautiful and fun floral or marble patterns.
There’s no official description from American Tourister on what materials this luggage is made of but it comes with a 10 year warranty and feels solid, which is good enough for us.
American Tourister has included all of the necessary features to make traveling easy, including 1.5 inches of expansion for your belongings, push-button locking handles, and cross straps in the main compartment so nothing falls out while you fly.
With four spinner wheels, you can move it around seamlessly, and there’s the option to use a carrying handle up top.
American Tourister has proven hardside luggage can be fun and durable at the same time with this set.
- You can feel instantly how solid and tough this suitcase is and you won’t need to worry about the contents of your bag when it’s encased in this solid shell.
- There are loads of different colors and designs to choose from that make it a standout at the airport and add some whimsy to your journey.
- Everything has been organized into two main compartments with pockets and straps, which means an easier packing experience.
- American Tourister covers this luggage with a 10 year warranty so you know it’s been built to last.
- It’s the perfect size to take as carry on luggage without being too bulky, and inside is deceptively roomy.
- Unlike other hardside luggage, there’s no included TSA side lock on this which means it could be opened by other users.
- American Tourister doesn’t list anywhere what material this luggage is made of, even on their official website, so it’s hard to know how to care for it properly.
- With a weight of 8.2lbs, it weighs around the same as a standard-sized suitcase so it’s not the lightest option when it comes to carry on bags.
Alternative: Rockland Melbourne Luggage
Rockland’s Melbourne Hardside Luggage is an affordable way to travel with the protection of a hard shell case.
This luggage set comes with a 22 x 13 x 9 inch bag and a 28 x 17 x 12 inch one, so you have a carry-on and a checked piece to take.
If you prefer a more affordable hardside luggage option for your upcoming trip, the Rockland Melbourne range might be up your alley.
This durable luggage set comes with two bags, including a 20 inch and 28 inch bag, and you get the option of over 30 colors to choose from, as well as the size and shape of luggage you want to use.
Rockland makes their hardside luggage with ABS so it’s durable and protective, but might be more prone to scratching than polycarbonate.
They cover their luggage with a five year limited warranty which is still impressive at this price point, and there’s no need to worry about whatever you’ve got inside.
The Rockland Melbourne Hardside Luggage has all the standard features including 360-degree spinning wheels, interior mesh and zip pocket, elastic pocket, and a telescoping handle that can be retracted with one push of a button.
If you want two quality hardside bags for the price of one and don’t mind missing out on polycarbonate materials, the Rockland Melbourne Hardside Luggage still has loads to offer.
- The oversized wheels make it easy to move this wherever you need to go and because they’re multidirectional they travel smoothly and freely.
- Rockland has protected their customers with a five year warranty on this luggage which is exceptional for the price tag.
- There’s loads of space inside and plenty of separate compartments and pockets that let you keep everything organized.
- Considering you get a carry on bag and full sized suitcase, this is one of the cheapest hardside luggage options on the market that’s still made with solid construction and materials.
- You get a massive selection of colors and luggage combinations to choose from with 32 options available at the last count.
- The overall weight of both bags is 16lbs which might seem excessive, and if you prefer lightweight luggage there are durable options that aren’t this heavy.
• As these bags are made of ABS and not polycarbonate, they don’t appear to be able to last 10+ years as some of the other luggage manufacturers’ products do.
- The Rockland Melbourne luggage doesn’t come with any TSA side locks so the zipper is the only protection you’ll have.
Alternative: Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds Luggage Set
This luggage set comes in 14 different color combinations and the entire set weighs 15.25lbs with both bags having a main compartment for two-sided packing and carefully organized straps to keep your luggage in place.
If you’re someone who wants to travel in style, you’ll love everything about the sleek Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds Luggage Set.
This two piece set features a standard 20 inch bag measuring 21.75 x 14.5 x 8.5 inches and a 28 inch bag that measures 29.5 x 14.5 x 8.5 inches, giving you one for checking in and the other for carrying on board, or you can use one and not the other, depending on where and how you’re traveling.
These bags are made with durable ABS so while they’re tough, they are prone to scratching and losing their shine after a year or so, which a few customers noted.
However, Kenneth Cole Reaction has designed the bags with molded corner guard reinforcements to protect the contents of the bag and it also features lined interiors that won’t tear, and restraints straps on the inside for added protection.
The Out of Bounds Luggage Set weighs just over 15lbs in total so it’s a lightweight option and both bags feature multidirectional spinner wheels that travel with 360-degree movement for easy transportation.
Their design is sleek and looks a lot more expensive than it is, with an impressive 10 year limited warranty offered by Kenneth Cole Reaction to guarantee their quality.
- These bags are stylish and elegant with plenty of designs to choose from and have a nice gloss finish that makes them look more expensive than they cost.
- When rolling the luggage through the airport, customers noted how freely and smoothly it moved, even with a heavy load.
- The size of the carry on luggage is deceptive and people found that they could fit a lot more than most bags this size.
- The molded corner guard reinforcements give the luggage contents an added layer of protection, even if they’re handled roughly, and the lining is tear-resistant for another bonus.
- You get a lengthy 10 year warranty on these suitcases so even if they develop scratches or fade in color, the luggage will still be in good shape.
- The ABS used for this luggage set can be prone to scratches and if not handled carefully, it may lose some of its shine after a while.
- There’s only one zippered compartment on one side of the suitcase with nowhere else protective like this to keep smaller goods.
- This set costs slightly more than others made of ABS, and it’s a price tag you might feel more comfortable paying for a more durable material.
Alternative: Delsey Paris Helium Aero
Delsey Paris has created the Helium Aero Luggage collection, with our top pick being their 29 x 19.6 x 12.5 inch bag that weighs 12.5lbs in total.
This luggage is made with 100% polycarbonate for durability, comes in 11 striking colors, and has a high gloss finish.
The Delsey Paris Helium Aero Luggage is a durable and stylish option for those who want certainty that their belongings are protected.
With measurements of 29 x 19.6 x 12.5 inches, there’s more than enough room for your goods, and it expands a further two inches if you need it.
The Helium Aero has a fully lined interior, ergonomic locking handle system, and two large compartments to utilize, so they’ve truly thought of everything.
This is an expensive suitcase, and for this price, you wouldn’t expect any issues, but some users have noted that the zipper started playing up after a year of regular use if they weren’t careful.
Although it’s a heavier bag at 12.5lbs, the double spinner wheels pick up a lot of the slack and allow it to smoothly glide through the airport, which makes any last minute dashes a lot easier.
The Delsey Paris Helium Aero is safe and secure, thanks to features like the three-dial combination lock and hefty polycarbonate that will never break or crack.
With a deep metallic finish and 11 colors to choose from, you’ll feel stylish and sophisticated at the airport, all the while knowing your luggage contents are completely protected.
- This is a premium luggage option when compared to the others and it’s made with the highest level of quality, which is apparent even at first glance.
- You get more room inside of the bag thanks to the extension of two inches, so you never have to leave anything important behind.
- The use of polycarbonate to construct the suitcase makes this incredibly tough and resilient to cracking, so it’ll last for years to come.
- Includes a TSA lock that allows for secure and easy access by TSA agents and gives you peace of mind.
- The Helium Aero Luggage features two spinner wheels together which makes it glide easily and quietly even with a full load.
- With a weight of 12.5lbs for just one bag, it’s one of the heavier options out there, and if you’re traveling on an airline that checks weight, it could restrict what you bring along.
- There were some reported issues with the zipper after a year of regular use, and because it’s your only form of entry into the luggage, you need to be careful when opening and closing it.
- As one of the most expensive options on the market, there might be other polycarbonate suitcases out there that you can find for cheaper.
Hardside Luggage FAQs
There are lots of benefits to enjoy when you make the switch to hardside luggage, but if you’ve never owned this type of bag before, there’s also a lot to learn.
We’ve covered some of the basics in these FAQs so you know exactly what to look for when shopping around.
Is Hardside Luggage Better?
Hardside luggage comes with benefits like being easier to clean, protecting delicate contents inside, and being more durable, but it’s not always the best option.
Some people prefer the lightweight feel of soft luggage and if you don’t need any added protection, it might not be necessary to go hard.
What Carry Ons Do Pilots Use?
Pilots use a special type of bag called a ‘pilot’s bag’ that acts as their carry on luggage and is stored next to their chair as they sit in the cockpit.
These bags come in various sizes, just like regular carry on luggage, and can be as small as an everyday backpack or larger if they’re traveling overnight.
Does Polycarbonate Luggage Crack?
Polycarbonate is tougher than most materials used to make hardside luggage and it’s a lot harder to crack.
These types of baggage can withstand more weight and pressure which makes them a popular choice when looking for something durable to take on a flight as part of your checked luggage.
What Size Luggage Do I Need For A Week Trip?
If you’re traveling somewhere without access to laundry facilities, you should aim for a bag between 70 and 80 liters in capacity.
Those who prefer to travel light might be able to leave with just half of this size, but it would require careful planning and packing to ensure you get the essentials in.
A Tougher Way to Travel
The right choice in luggage can make or break any trip, so ensuring you have the best hardside luggage material, size, and construction is critical.
With the added protection that this type of gear provides, you’ll have peace of mind on your travel and spend less time worrying about what could go wrong.